I've been loving soup and sandwich for lunch lately and I would rather make soup and bring it than eat canned soup. It just seems so much healthier to me.
So here is the original recipe that I've been using:
I was introduced to www.skinnytaste.com a few months ago and I LOVE it! I love being able to make more healthful versions of usually decadent or unhealthy food.
Yesterday when I had originally planned to make soup, I only needed a few things from the grocery store, and used a few substitutions so as to reduce the amount of items that I needed to purchase. My modifications are as follows:
- Instead of diced tomatoes, I used canned whole tomatoes and just diced them up (b/c I had a ton of whole tomatoes and didn't get the right size can of diced tomatoes while shopping).
- I used dried herbs instead of fresh (b/c I was lazy).
- I added 3 cups of fresh baby spinach instead of 2 (b/c I like spinach).
- I added 1 cup (before cooking) of ditalini pasta (b/c that is what I had).
- I added 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (b/c I didn't have a leftover cheese rind).
- I added more like 4 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth - I didn't measure. I just poured it in my crock pot until it looked full enough.
For a 1 cup serving here are the nutritional values of my modified/lazy version:
111 calories, 23 g carbs, 0 g fat, 8 g protein, 5 g fiber.
Paired with a sandwich or salad and it's the perfect lunch for me!